Here’s a little trivia for you - BLOG was derived from combining the words WEB and LOG. It makes sense: it’s a “log” of a writer’s thoughts on a certain topic. We also know not everyone is in to blogging, and that’s completely fine. Maybe photos are where you’re at, and you’re active on Instagram and have a great Gallery on your website. But if you do feel like you want to engage your followers by writing a monthly (or bi-monthly, or quarterly) Blog, here are some things to keep in mind:
1) What’s your topic? Is it divisive or inclusive? You need to be able to express yourself in a way that allows your Readers to see your point of view without going too over the top.
2) Would your Readers want to participate in the conversation? Make sure you allow for commentary – no one likes a one-sided discussion!
3) Passion is great but make sure your topic doesn’t turn off more people than you turn on. For example, politics: probably not a great blog topic.
3) RRP are the three rules of successful blogging: readability, responsiveness and personalization. These are essential factors for a effective blog. Your blog has to be well written (grammar and spell-check please!), you have to be topical and it has to feel like you’re really invested in what you’re writing about.
4) Try sharing your blog with other bloggers your admire. Ask them to tweet out a link to your blog and offer to do the same. You can both can new people interested in your website that way.
Check out our CEO Liz Leahy’s really great Blogs on the Section 101 website, and perhaps you will become inspired!!
Want us to review your website or provide you with a FREE design consult? Email [email protected] to schedule an online session with a Section 101 Specialist